Monday, May 28, 2012

Island Adventure

So it's been over a week in Brazil and I feel pretty settled in! Thursday (my 4th day at my placement) finally felt a LITTLE easier. I believe what makes it easier is that the teacher I work with, Lindalva, is getting used to me and we are learning how to communicate (she doesn't speak any English). I think if we spoke the same language we'd be buddies, she seems like she has a great sense of humor and she is SO good with the kids. They all listen to her and seem to respect her and love her. Anyway, I am slowly finding my place there and feeling a little more helpful.

This weekend 9 of us went to an island called Morro de Sao Paulo about 2 hours (supposedly) from Salvador. Our trip there was quite rainy so we took a boat to another island, drove across that island, then took a short boat ride to Morro. The trip was long and miserable. But once we got there we checked into our beautiful hotel and hit the beach for lunch and a daiquiri. The island is very small; there are no cars on it and one road through the main town, meant for people and wheel barrows, the islands' main "mode of transportation" (ie these guys go around with wheel barrows and harass you, offering to take your bags for you. The road is lined with boutiques selling souvenirs, Brazilian bikinis and other fun stuffs. The road continues and opens up to the beach, lined with restaurants and hotels. Our hotel was amazing. There were hammocks everywhere, a pool with a swim up bar, air conditioning in the rooms and the best part- hot showers (did I tell you that there is no hot water in Salvador? Nothing like a freezing cold shower at 7 am to get your day started! Everyday!).

So we got to the island at about 1 or 2 and enjoyed ourselves for a while then all of a sudden I was struck with sickness. I was hot, delirious, light headed and just felt terrible. I tried to pretend nothing was happening and got ready for the night with the rest of my friends, but by the time we got outside and walked around for a little bit, I was much worse. I called it a night before dinner and went straight to bed where I had a raging fever for the rest of the night. I woke up feeling slightly better Saturday (the hot shower certainly helped) and we all went to the beach and sunned through the morning, staving off jewelry and food vendors every five minutes. We had a lazy day in the sun and enjoyed the food and I even went shopping to make up for the night before! The boat ride back on Sunday was much better and took the prescribed 2 hours. I sat on the back of the boat enjoying the view and the water spraying my legs from the wake of the boat.

Today I missed work because my fever came back. I feel like a pansy for missing, but another volunteer said it was probably good I didn't go because a bunch of kids were sick, some were even sent home. Friday the teachers of the school (which is named Frutos de Mães) had a meeting to discuss the future of the school. There is little to no funding, they receive part of their funds from the government but the majority comes from donations. The school is falling apart physically and many teachers have walked out since they haven't been paid in months and they need to support their own children and families. It will be interesting to see how things progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment