Friday, June 22, 2012

Samba and Mormons

Friday night samba proved to be a blast. 3 of my friends and I went out to dinner for my friend Ryne's last night then met up with the other volunteers at a samba club down the road. The man who comes to our home base once a week to teach samba told us about the club and told us he would be us there around 830. He showed up at 11, but we were already making the most of our time! We tried our best to samba and our pathetic attempts attracted Brazilian natives; they tried desperately to help us. I was dancing with one older gentleman who was a good 6 inches shorter than I am and had a hefty beer belly. He tried his best to help my moves but I just couldn't keep up. Several of us ended up dancing with the people in his group and we soon found out that the man is a priest. A priest with moves. So we made friends and tried to improve our steps (2 steps right, 1 step left...) One guy just kept telling me "be smoother!" it was not helpful advice as I seemed incapable of doing so. The night was definitely a success, the most fun I've had here.

The next day our good friend Ryne left us so we were pretty bummed all day. We ended up going to the outdoor weekly jazz concert at the marina and enjoyed some drinks there. Sunday was another adventure of a whole different kind. My friend Karlie is a practicing Mormon and, through a confusing chain of people, two young guys on their mission in Salvador found Karlie and invited her to Sunday services. The two guys (one from Ohio who has been in Brazil for 6 months, and the other a native Brazilian) came around 9 on Sunday morning to accompany us to the church, a floor above a lottery shop. All the people there were so nice and welcoming even though only a few spoke some English. I was surprised to see so many Mormon Brazilians! Over the next three hours we met people, attended a 45 minute discussion on how to properly fast (the Ohio guy translated every once in a while), an hour long sermon type thing where several of the more important men would say some words of wisdom or read and discuss a scripture passage, then met some more people. We met one guy who went to Geoegetown and has been living in Salvador for the past two years. He teaches English and one of his students is a member of the church and brought him along. We exchanged emails and we will probably be hanging out with him outside of the Mormon church sometime soon. It was quite an interesting experience over all.

This week was a little different, work wise. Monday is a story in itself. When I arrive in the morning at my placement, the kids are usually in the middle of breakfast. Breakfast generally consists of milk with a little coffee in it accompanied by little cookies or boiled bananas or some other fruit that I'm not familiar with. Monday they each got a box drink of chocolate milk and cookies. One of my girls, Laila, didn't drink very much of her box and another girl, Jessica, asked me if she could finish it since she had already finished her own. I thought, sure, why not. Better than wasting it! I handed it over and a wave of dread passed through me: I sure hope she's not lactose intolerant, that's kind of a lot of milk. Not thirty minutes later, Lindalva was in the middle of her morning lesson (that morning she was discussing the importance of safety when setting off fireworks. I could tell by the occasional BOOOM! that she and the kids would shout out. They set off a lot of fireworks here.), when Jessica suddenly threw up the both boxes of chocolate milk on her table. A little got on poor Douglas as well. I'm pretty sure I said out loud "oh, that is definitely my fault." Lindalva and I cleaned it up and it was forgotten. Well, until little ol' Douglas was crawling on me an hour later in his chocolate vomit stained shirt.

Tuesday was a normal, hectic day, then Wednesday Vini told me that my placement would be having a party to celebrate Sao Joao (a two week festival that they celebrate here) after which they will be taking a 2 week break from school. I am pleased to hear about the party and head off to work. To my surprise the kids were not at school and only the teachers were there with some of their kids preparing for the party that afternoon. I was disappointed because I knew I wouldn't be seeing the kids for a week and a halfish, then Lindalva told me the kids don't come back until July 9th! Two days after I leave Brazil. I was pretty upset. Tuesday was my last day with the kids and I didn't even know it! I went to the party later that afternoon and was able to say goodbye to Lindalva and a few of the children but it certainly wasn't the same. The kids were distraced and didn't really understand that I was leaving. I was glad I was able to see those few nonetheless.

Thursday I began working at CAASAH, a facility that houses adults and kids affected with HIV or AIDS. It's pretty intense and disturbing, mostly on the adult side where many men have wasting disease, so some weigh less than 100 pounds and are incapacitated. There are a few adults who are pretty mobile and enjoy sitting with us drawing or whatever else. We spend at least an hour on the adult side then head over to the children's side (the adults and children do not mix or even see each other). The children are just like any other kids running and jumping on us, coloring, joking, etc. The ages range from infants (there are three baby girls that are less than a year and a half, one is less than three months old) to 17. Some of the teenagers are pretty moody just like any teenager but they tend to open up even as the morning goes on. My favorite kid is Edgar (pronounced Ed-jee-gahr). He's about 7 or 8 and is just so sweet and silly. Today we blew up water balloons (quite a task, let me tell you) and hung them up around the little playground they have. Unfortunately, they do not let us take pictures at this placement which is sad because this kid has the most ridiculously pretty amber eyes and I know already I'm going to want to remember him when I leave two weeks from tomorrow. This placement once again takes me out of my comfort zone, but I think I will grow and learn a lot from it. Tomorrow we're heading a couple hours north to a beach and hiking area! I hope to get another horse ride in!

No comments:

Post a Comment